Canada Expands Options for Hong Kong Residents
Great News for Hong Kong residents — Canada announced new measures today. The news includes new programs and expediting current programs for both temporary and permanent residence. Many of the programs are geared towards “youth” and we will share the definition soon, but for now, it will be approx: between 18-35 years old
This is what we know so far:
FOR Students and “youth” they will benefit from the following:
- Expedited processing of work and study permits
- NEW *open* work permit (up to three years), with an emphasis on post-secondary education in Canada or abroad completed in the last 5 years.
- Two NEW pathways will open for those coming to work or study in Canada. The first targets former HK residents who have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience (plus minimum education and language requirements). The second targets those who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution
- Resume the International Experience Canada work permit category for Hong Kong youth (currently suspended due to Covid-19)
- Those already in Canada can extend their stay without paying processing fees
- Increase promotion of the Super Visa for parents and grandparents
- Expedite processing of permanent resident applications
- Expedited processing of applications for documents needed by Canadian citizens and permanent residents residing in Hong Kong to return to Canada.
Reminder: The Orders in Council outlining travel restrictions and the 14 day mandatory quarantine remain in effect and are updated frequently.
More details and information coming soon.